nafex - [NAFEX] pollinator for black elderberry

  • From: piper33@verizon.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pollinator for black elderberry
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:31:01 -0500 (CDT)

I have a black elderberry, Sambucus nigra, called Black Lace. It is a beautiful variety with lacey almost-black leaves and stems and pink flower clusters. I was hoping for fruit, but this is my 2nd year with this plant, and only one berry has developed each year. I did some research and found hybrid elderberries require a second variety for berry production. Has anyone had luck with Black Lace for fruit? Any specific varieties required, or will any S. nigra do?
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8