nafex - [NAFEX] killing tree roots K Q

  • From: "Jenny Ruth Yasi" <voices@maine.rr.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] killing tree roots K Q
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:28:28 -0400

I followed that with interest because I gardened for a woman whose neighbor had a yard full of bittersweet and knotweed that was encroaching on her lawn. My employer wanted me to go to the neighbors yard and spray roundup which I refused to do (so later when I abandoned her she did it herself). The only solution in my opinion was to make a moat of landscape fabric and mulch, and mow often.

On my own property, I put some rain barrels collecting water off the roof and a drip hose to the perimeter, and I have espaliered fruit trees growing very well near the roots of my neighbor's trees. They just need more water on the edge, near trees, more than any other area of the garden. As long as I water regularly they do fine. Also I have hazelnuts there, and they are quite drought resistant, I don't even water them, just mulch them, and they compete with the trees very well.

Yasi
www.wholedogcamp.com
www.jennyruthyasi.blogspot.com
really too busy to do more than lurk! Growing flowers for fun wedding this year, thinking dahlias and daisies for a change...