nafex - [NAFEX] Surround for curc control

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround for curc control
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:29:14 -0700

I continue to have good success with Surround as far as curc damage on apples and plums.  The hard part is actually getting a good coating on the fruit- best done when it's very still.  Here in southeastern NY only three or four sprays once a week starting at petal fall are necessary as we get no second generation, at least at any of my sites in almost 20 years.  I've yet to have a problem with apple fly maggot which is a big mystery to me as I know they are a problem with commercial growers in the Hudson Valley not far away.  I count my blessings as this cuts applications in half.

I read in one of the trades that MSU is now recommending an organic program that they have found very affective that doesn't require surround and uses an organic insecticide whose name I didn't recognize.  I intend to further research this when demands of the season begin to diminish.

  • [NAFEX] Surround for curc control, Alan Haigh, 07/07/2008