nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing tree roots (transfusion)

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing tree roots (transfusion)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:00:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2008 8:39:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jfruth@tds.net writes:

What I'm thinking about trying is to give the roots an herbicide
transfusion.  I don't know if it would work and wonder if anyone has done
anything similar.

Hi Jim,

Was trying to kill a cotton wood, girdled it twice and it still managed to live two years. Took a chain saw and made small wells in the side about an inch deep and poured a 50/50 mixture of Tordon and Roundup into the wells. The liquid was taken up and I refilled a few times. It was almost like the cotton wood was thirsty! The tree is dead! Although the tree is on the edge of a thick area, haven't seen any root suckers under the half where they root system isn't hidden.

There is of course the possibility it was the girdling, but believe the herbicide mixture dealt the death blow as the leaves wilted and dropped shortly after application.

Jerry