nafex - [NAFEX] sandy soil

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sandy soil
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:00:52 -0400

I wouldn't call sandy soil inert, it is simply less chemically active than finer soils.  Out here I get great results establishing orchards in sandy well drained soils.  Bearing age trees establish extremely well and fruit is of highest quality because it is easier to control vigor.  I just keep trees well mulched, often with lots of aged wood chips because they are free and work well, much better than shredded wood.  I also often use aged horse stable waste instead, which is mostly soft-wood shavings enriched with horse urine and manure.  Trees compensate for course soil by developing more root and they do so quickly if they have the moisture and nutrients they need- sandy soil certainly provides plenty of oxygen and warms quickly in spring.