nafex - Re: [NAFEX] most nutritious fruit

  • From: abb7@Lehigh.EDU
  • To: nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] most nutritious fruit
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 00:48:40 -0400

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:14:02 -0400
From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
Subject: [NAFEX] most nutritious fruit
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

I just spent a half an hour trying to find an old copy of a comparative list
of nutrients in temperate fruit but failed. I believe I copied it from an
old issue of Pomona to use as a handout in a home orchard class. I remember
that while kiwis were impressive it was black currants that were by far the
richest in nutrients. Very high concentrations of potassium and vitamin C
and A were among its assets. I expect that anti-oxidant flavinoids would
be off the charts as well. I doubt kiwis are nearly as rich in flavinoids-
not enough color.

Apricots are by far the richest temperate fruit in carotene, therefor
vitamin A- I believe mangoes are comparable in this regard. Papayas also.
I'm sure there are lesser know tropical fruits with a high level of vitamins
and flavinoids.

You can look up the nutritional values for many foods (as determined by the USDA) at
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

A quick search indicates that cantaloupe has quite a bit more vitamin A than apricots?..~75% more on a per gram basis, and more than twice as much on a per calorie basis.

Supposed to have at least 10 times the vit C that an orange has.
Topgun

According to the USDA database, Kiwi has about 50% more vitamin C than navel oranges on a per gram basis, and about 25% more on a per calorie basis. Kiwi also has at least 10 times the vitamin E content. Someone else raised the issue of availability, saying that the E is concentrated in the seeds. I can assure you that 2 year olds cannot digest the seeds ?

The database does not include many of the minor fruits ( paw paw, aronia, goumi etc.), nor does provide data about flavanoids. In any case, it?s a good resource for quantitative information if you want to make your own evaluation of how ?healthy? a food is.

Re: the original poster, a google news search does not bring up any recent articles about this study?.do you have any other information?

Alex