nafex - [NAFEX] most nutritious fruit

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] most nutritious fruit
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:14:02 -0400

I just spent a half an hour trying to find an old copy of a comparative list of nutrients in temperate fruit but failed.  I believe I copied it from an old issue of Pomona to use as a handout in a home orchard class.  I remember that while kiwis were impressive it was black currants that were by far the richest in nutrients.  Very high concentrations of potassium and vitamin C and A were among its assets.  I  expect that anti-oxidant flavinoids would be off the charts as well.  I doubt kiwis are nearly as rich in flavinoids- not enough color.

Apricots are by far the richest temperate fruit in carotene, therefor vitamin A- I believe mangoes are comparable in this regard.  Papayas also.  I'm sure there are lesser know tropical fruits with a high level of vitamins and flavinoids.