nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ant control

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ant control
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:33:05 -0700

Yes, Donna, d-limonene works against ants, including fire ants. It's in
many orange oil products. When we've had house ants, I just use my
orange-oil air freshener. The d-limonene would need to reach the beasts.
It will kill within minutes of contact, but the contact part is problematic;
a "drench and puncture" method is recommended. But it doesn't dissolve the
skeletons - I wonder if that was a citric acid product?

Lori, I hadn't heard of the grain mites. There have been releases of phorid
flies, which decapitate the ants, and a protozoan ant pathogen. Of the more
readily available treatments, I think if I had a widespread problem, I might
try a spinosad bait.

This is an interesting overview of "sustainable" methods of fire ant
control: http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/fireant.html
Some of the methods discussed are organically approved, others are not. But
if the question isn't as much allowable-for-certified-organic as it is
what's-safe-and-effective, this might have some practical information.

~ Stephen