nafex - [NAFEX] tree drowing observations

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] tree drowing observations
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:59:27 -0500

With the flooding in the Midwest this year, and flooding in Kansas/Oklahoma last year, I thought I'd offer a few observations of its affect on various trees.  Perhaps it would help someone in planning where to plant their trees.  My observations are based on standard rootstock.

Drowning is the worst for apricots with apricot seedling roots.  They can only take about one day (or less) with their roots under water before they start to wilt.  Lost one this year.

Peach is better than apricot, but still don't much care for wet feet.  Toured an orchard last weekend and observed older trees in various stages of death from drowning.  In other words, it can take several years for a peach to finally bite the dust.  Low vigor is a sign all is not well.

I find Pawpaw is a little better than peach, but still don't like wet feet.  They're easy to overwater.

Apple probably better than Pawpaw.

Pear better than apple.  Except new pear trees don't seem to take a lot of water well.  After they get established they can take a pretty wet spot.

Plum. You can pretty much plant them anywhere except a swamp.  Haven't been able to drown one yet.

Pecan.  I put two new pecan trees in the very wettest spots.  The roots have probably been submerged in water most of the spring.  I think they would have been OK except I put a lot of grass clippings around the base ( I didn't know it was going to be this wet this year.)  Grass clippings really mat down and restrict oxygen to the roots.  The trees started suffering and I removed the grass.  They are both doing better despite torrential rains (although one is still "iffy" because of insect damage on top of the water stress.)  I've heard it said a pecan will grow anywhere a willow can.  Based upon my experience, I believe it.

Put a new persimmon in a very wet spot.  It's roots have also been submerged for prolonged periods of time.  It has not been really vigorous, but I haven't seen any wilting.  I think they would rate about as water tolerant as pecans.

A few other observations:  If you have a young tree starting to wilf from drowing, it helps to remove some of the soil around the roots to allow them to dry faster.  Provide some shade for the canopy.  The afternoon sun is especially hard on burning up the foliage.  Then plan to move the tree to a drier spot next fall or spring, or replant in a mound.

Mounding is essential for apricots, peaches, and pawpaw on marginal sites.  Just some of my lessons, hope it's helpful.

Mark
KS