nafex - [NAFEX] Ants

  • From: John McCuan <wawo@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ants
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 16:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

We have had a lot of large ant colonies in our raised beds, for example among the tomato plants.  One non-toxic method to diminish the colony or make it move is to introduce ants from another ant nest.  I push a shovel into a big ant nest, get a bunch of ants, and put it onto the nest I want to eliminate.

The ants start fighting right away.  It's a little gruesome; sometimes a few hours later we can see the mangled bodies of the "invaders" strewn around the top of the nest.  But I've found if I do this a couple of times, the original nest seems to disappear, or moves off to some place where it doesn't bother the garden.

I read about this somewhere - maybe NAFEX?   It does seem to work pretty well for us.

Melinda McCuan