nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:51:03 -0700

I must respectfully disagree. Flavor is the only important thing. I have eaten the little wild lowbush blueberries in Alaska and the Washington Cascades and, while I obviously have not tasted all the domestic ones, the only variety I have found that carries even a hint of the wild flavor is Blueray. The others are just sweet and bland.

I read an account once written by Frederick V. Colville on his early work on breeding commercial blueberries from wild selections. He said that when he had a field full of experimental hybrids he would go through and taste them, rejecting the ones that were not flavorful, no matter how big and strong they were. Today catalogs emphasize only size and ignore flavor.

Betty Mayfield
Northwest Oregon