nafex - [NAFEX] Surround experience this spring

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround experience this spring
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 15:27:51 -0400

Betsy writes:
I too have trouble getting Surround to stick to my plum tree, also my pears to some extent. I added a bit of soap which improved adhesion a bit.

Betsy, I added soap last year because I was also concerned. This year I decided to focus on the coverage of the approach to the plum instead (the limb the curc would walk up), and I ended up with many fewer strikes than last year. So I'm not sure it is a problem if almost nothing is sticking to the fruit.

Donna writes:
I am surprised that you say the main curculio season is over for you, I had to look see where you are. Probably a little behind us in the season. As I understand it, the infested fruit that is falling here now will produce a new crop of adults to go hit the late peaches.
I have never noticed any significant late curculio damage myself, and would also be curious if others have seen such damage in peaches. I may have gotten some and had assumed it was moths without looking too carefully.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Surround experience this spring, Scott Smith, 05/29/2008