nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Surround experience this spring

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Surround experience this spring
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:07:50 -0500

Scott,
I am surprised that you say the main curculio season is over for you, I had to look see where you are. Probably a little behind us in the season. As I understand it, the infested fruit that is falling here now will produce a new crop of adults to go hit the late peaches.
Due to last years horrific freeze, curculio pressure is very low this year, and due to an unusually mild spring, far more blossoms than usual set this year. So curculio pressure is very low, and I have been content to monitor and pick up the fallen fruit. I have sprayed twice, once with Surround and Neem, once with just Neem. Can't tell if it's made any difference, the one time I tried spreading sheets and tapping trees I didn't find a single curculio. Most years when I do that I can collect dozens, even hundreds.
I haven't sprayed the late peaches at all. Nor do I find any curculio marks on them. I think they much prefer the plums and have decided to concentrate on them first, but they are getting close enough to ripe that in another few weeks the curcs will have to move on. Any advice? Should I start in spraying at once? Or are we about done for the year, as Scott says? Donna