nafex - [NAFEX] Thinning apples and more

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Thinning apples and more
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 08:20:28 -0500

Deb S asked, "Also about when do you thin your fruit? I would hate to thin and then lose more fruit to "June drop".

When I thin apples I strive to leave only the 'king' apple in all clusters, thereby minimizing the June Drop. In addition, I leave only one apple per hand width per branch so the fruits grow to almost softball size.
There is one problem with harvesting huge fruits. The prongs on the basket picker that is available at the hardware store are too short to approach the stem of such large apples. Consequently the prongs gouge into the flesh at the stem ends but, to counter that, force some stiff plastic tubing onto the prongs, adding to the length of the prongs.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: