nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear frost damage, pokeweed, and grafting

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear frost damage, pokeweed, and grafting
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:44:38 -0400

On May 24, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Alan Haigh wrote:

How is it that the subject of poke-weed, a definite non-fruit, has excited members to such numerous response and there was not a single reply to my question about Asian pear frost hardiness? I know a lot of you grow this fruit and I'm wondering if any of you has some ballpark figure for its' relative spring frost hardiness.

My guess is that no one has a good answer for you. I often get no replies to a very specific question, and I've noticed the same when others ask specific questions.

Whereas lots of posters have experience (one way or another) with poke weed. Personally, I find it a scary-looking weed and remove it when I find it. Then I wash my hands.

Except for my red currants, most of the garden is looking good this spring. All of my spring apple grafts took. This year I tied the twigs in place with grafting rubber (similar to a cut rubber band, came in a kit with a knife and some grafting compound that I bought when I first tried grafting.) and then covered them with a little parafilm.

I've tried using nothing but parafilm in the past, and gotten very poor success. It doesn't hold twigs firmly enough, I think. I had poor success with T-budding, too, but have no guess at my problem there. I've had decent success with other stuff to cover the graft when I tied the twigs with rubbers, but I've never used anything else that was as easy to handle and as successful as the parafilm. I find wax and grafting compounds very hard to handle, and I've had poor success with masking tape and similar. Probably the next best thing I tried was strips of stretchy plastic bags. The parafilm wasn't cheap, but the amount I bought will probably last the rest of my life, so I expect I'll keep using it.

Ginda