nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Arctic Raspberries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Arctic Raspberries
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:19:21 -0700 (PDT)

Sheridan,

I'm in my third year with these and have 3 varieties.  Mine are in wide, low pots while I figure out a good place to put them(hopefully soon).  I am using a loose, rich acid soil with plenty of organic matter.  The plants seem to be thriving except that they cannot compete with the local weeds.  If I do not stay on top of the weeding with them, the locals out-compete them.  Roots are fragile and I tend to uproot plants when pulling weeds.  I divided one of the pots last year and lost the division over the winter.  They get morning sun for the most part, but some afternoon shelter/semi-shade where I have them.  I have access to a very fine (1/4") pine bark this year and thinking about using it as a mulch to cut down on the weeds.

Still, they have spread well and now fill the pots.  Love the fruit, but too few.  Birds like them too, so I protect them with netting.  One thing, the berries look ripe for a long time before they get ripe, making it hard to judge when to pick.  Seeds are larger than I would like to see.  Very sweet when ripe, taste reminds me of cotton candy.

I have an 8x3' strawberry bed and am thinking that they might do well in a raised bed like that for each variety.  I would not want to mix varieties in the same location in case one would out-compete the other and then you would not have a pollinator.

Just my opinion.

John

Sheridan Shumway <rattler_mt@yahoo.com> wrote:
been searching for info on growing these for the last
few days. ive got the cultivars 'Anna' and 'Valentina'
from One Green World as well as the nagoonberry from
Raintree.....other than needing different cultivars
for 'Anna' and 'Valentina' to set fruit i cant seem to
find much info on actually growing them. i find lots
on them as far as "wildflowers" but not much of
anything as far as culture info.

anyone else growing them?

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana