nafex - Re: [NAFEX] groundhog update

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] groundhog update
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:48:37 -0500

Just to thank the people who responded. I did get cabbage and peaches for the trap (Calif. peaches...looked good but sour !!), and they definitely worked...but he got away. The trap was moved a couple of yards from where it was placed. I think it needs oiling as the door probably didn't close fast enough. And I tried again and the trap was sprung and empty when I checked it early this morning....I will not give up!

The panelists on the Backyard Farmer TV show here (http://byf.unl.edu/) say that you should wire the trap open for a couple of nights. Let the groundhog take the bait a few times, so he gets less wary. Then set the trap.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
From the perspective of my hunter-gatherer forebears in the Pleistocene Era, everything in the room I write in - the ceramic cup and the carpentered chair no less than the electric light and the computer - was as imaginary, as unreal, as fantastic as Narnia or Hogwarts. - Alison Gopnik