nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Melons, anyone?

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Melons, anyone?
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

We have heavy black gumbo here, but the garden beds get an awful lot
of amendment. But when I try melons outside they usually don't thrive
at all, partly the clay, but I think largely due to the chilly nights
all summer and possibly low humidity/drying winds. We get intensely
hot days and very low humidity (high desert type climate). Zone
doesn't matter much for melons, that's just about winter lows, it's
the day and night temps (and length of season...).

Fruit sweetness comes from the sun on the leaves making sugars,
although there are nutrients involved (possibly micronutrients?) and
of course more water will dilute the sweetness. So I'd think pinching
off extra fruits might might make the remaining ones sweeter...

The best melons I have ever had were "Haogen" we grew one year raised
beds in a small corregated plastic greenhouse - with no cooling, it
got *very* hot during the day, was warmer at night, and no wind. They
were so fragrant you could smell them before you walked in the door....

Lisa

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall