nafex - Re: [NAFEX] More Critter Stories

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More Critter Stories
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 9:21:39 -0400

I have also used cocoa shell mulch, just in the beds close to the house
because it's expensive. But it's very easy to work with around delicate
plants and it smells wonderful for a while.

We have lots of squirrels and I've never had an issue with them eating it
once I spread it. I have had something (I presumed mice) chew open a bag
in the garage and eat a little, but that was mostly a nuisance for the
holes in the bags, not for missing mulch nor for drunken pests.

My vet says the issue with dogs and chocolate is not that it's much more
toxic for dogs than for people, but that dogs will eat enormous quantities
of stuff compared to ther size. So, if a 25 pound child gets into a cache
of chocolate, he'll eat a few ounces, but a 25 pound dog might eat 2 pounds
of it at once, given the opportunity. I'd think even for dogs it would be
hard to eat enough mulch (after it's spread on the ground) to get into a
lot of trouble.
___
Ginda