nafex - [NAFEX] Beyond the McIntosh

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Beyond the McIntosh
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 21:40:21 -0400

My apologies if this has already been posted:  The Atlantic Monthly has a nice piece this month profiling John Bunker.  It's this month's "food" article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200805/apples

One man’s mission to save abandoned (and glorious) apples by helping people plant for the future

Beyond the McIntosh

"There’s the joint,” John Bunker said, pointing to a neat line circling what looked like a long twig on an apple tree. The line, which marked the most recent year’s growth, would have been invisible to me. Once he pointed it out, the deep mulberry red of the scion wood, as the new growth is called, was indeed distinct from the increasingly dulled chestnut of the twig, branch, and trunk. . .

  • [NAFEX] Beyond the McIntosh, Ginda Fisher, 05/07/2008