nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ribes and sun

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ribes and sun
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 14:49:48 -0500

At 12:57 PM 5/6/2008, you wrote:
The concern expressed originally was sunburn on gooseberries which I believe has more to do with light intensity than temperature though I might be mistaken. In any case if you were trying to get maximum quality and yeald you wouldn't want to sacrifice the late afternoon sun. Of course people often put ribes in the shade because it's the only thing that will do well there.

Not knowing any better at the time, when I first started planting my orchard here, I planted several gooseberries in full sun next to my blueberries, in my hot zone 6 setting (70 mi. NW of Nashville TN) - Pixwell, Oregon Champion, Poorman, Hinnomaki Red. None lasted more than one year - except Pixwell, which grew rampantly and fruited well. Yes, I'm aware that it's not a top-flight 'dessert' quality gooseberry, but it was reliable for me. Pixwell is better than no gooseberries at all.
I've got a few more now - Glenndale, Catherine, Pink something-or-other, and some currants, which NAFEX members have shared with me, but this time, I planted them in a semi-shady rocky spot beneath a couple of big white and post oaks. This is their first year in the ground(planted them last fall), so I'll be waiting to see how they do.

Oh, yeah. I was given some cuttings of a 'jostaberry' from the late H.R. Martin, a long-time NAFEX member here in Hopkinsville. It's been in the ground here for, I guess, 7-8 years now, and hasn't yet demonstrated any desire to fruit. I moved it this spring, 'cause my wife wanted to put in another blueberry in that spot.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] ribes and sun, Alan Haigh, 05/06/2008
    • Message not available
      • Re: [NAFEX] ribes and sun, Lucky Pittman, 05/06/2008