nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:56:10 -0700 (PDT)

Richard,

I am in zone 5+ western PA, appalachian foothills.  Don't have Amish Red, but Captivator and Glendale are poor performers here.  Fruit is sparse.  Best production is H. yellow, H. red and Black Velvet.  Poorman not as productive as Red George or H. yellow, H. red, but reasonably productive with good tasting (not sour) fruit.  Larger fruited varieties can be productive such as Tixia, Achilles, etc are more sour here.  My plants get full sun.  The lighter colored fruits (non-red or black) such as H. yellow show blemishes from various causes.  I use fiberglass screen to partially shade some of the plants if they start to sunburn, but that is not much of a problem here.

Biggest problems are black spot (don't ever see mildew) and insects.  Last year had something piercing ripening fruit overnight and could not determine what was doing it.  Wasps and japanese beetles pretty aggressive towards the fruit as well but could be controlled with covers when needed.

John

Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
Glad to read the discussion on gooseberries.  But I have no idea where the growers who posted are located, except for Lon.  So, it's hard to know if their experience translates to me in the mid-Atlantic/Southern Appalachian Highlands.

Invicta sunburns badly for us, even in a spot with afternoon shade beginning 2-3 pm.  Also a magnet for currant worms and a beetle looking like locust borers.  Hence Invicta behaves as our "trap crop" for gooseberry pests.  But we keep our two plants growing because my wife likes it best for fresh eating.

Poorman our worst yielder over multiple years against about a dozen others, so removed.

Invicta is the only patented gooseberry we grow; and the patent issue is why we've avoided the Hinnomaki Red and Yellow.  I assume they are still under patent.

When moving to our new farm, I will be planting out Amish Red, Captivator and Glenndale.  The latter is the most productive and heat resistant for us.

Our new place has dozens of naturalized gooseberries in the fencerows and overgrown pasture.  Will be interesting to try to ID it.

Richard Moyer
NE TN/SW VA
1800' elevation
Historically Zone 6 winters