nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 13:17:33 -0400

Glad to read the discussion on gooseberries.  But I have no idea where the growers who posted are located, except for Lon.  So, it's hard to know if their experience translates to me in the mid-Atlantic/Southern Appalachian Highlands.

Invicta sunburns badly for us, even in a spot with afternoon shade beginning 2-3 pm.  Also a magnet for currant worms and a beetle looking like locust borers.  Hence Invicta behaves as our "trap crop" for gooseberry pests.  But we keep our two plants growing because my wife likes it best for fresh eating.

Poorman our worst yielder over multiple years against about a dozen others, so removed.

Invicta is the only patented gooseberry we grow; and the patent issue is why we've avoided the Hinnomaki Red and Yellow.  I assume they are still under patent.

When moving to our new farm, I will be planting out Amish Red, Captivator and Glenndale.  The latter is the most productive and heat resistant for us.

Our new place has dozens of naturalized gooseberries in the fencerows and overgrown pasture.  Will be interesting to try to ID it.

Richard Moyer
NE TN/SW VA
1800' elevation
Historically Zone 6 winters