nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spring is gone

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spring is gone
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:48:14 -0500

Interesting.........I just compared our degree days here in northern Illinois to last year's and we are at 162 compared to 206 for last year. But last year we were at 162 only 6 days prior to this year's 162. Last year we started accumulating degree days on March 12. This year we picked up 6 degree days in January and no more until March 31. Looks like we are catching up gradually to last year.

These temps have been playing havoc with our spraying. We only got about 1/4 of our copper on due to wind and rain over a 4 day period. We went from 1/4" green to tight cluster in just a few days, not allowing us to get our oil on. Some trees are beginning to push pink and it's raining now. We did get our first scab spray on, Nova and Dithane. Looks like the temps are going to push into the 70's by Monday making it too late to get any oil on since most all trees will be at pink. It's just too risky to spray oil at pink and the night temps are still in the low 40's. Since we got about and inch of rain between yesterday and today, another scab spray will be in order for the next sunny day. It's going to be an interesting year!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com