nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic or Sensible

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic or Sensible
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:14:02 -0500

I just got a shock last week.  A stranger who knew who I was asked if I remembered her husband, who'd had Parkinson's.  She said that after he died, she read that Rotenone use was associated with Parkinson's.  He was in fisheries biology, and they called him "The Rotenone King" because he used so much of the stuff in killing out undesirable species.  His sister and brother also have Parkinsons, so there is obviously more to it than that, but he died younger.  I had a grandmother and an aunt with it, so I'm very glad now that I never used the stuff.  I have a small bag of it around somewhere, but have never actually used it.  I don't know why, it just seems like I am so used to dealing with things other ways, it's rather foreign to think of getting out a sprayer.  (Which I did last week, and sprayed the plums and peaches with Surround and Neem.)  I complain a lot about the bug of the hour, but mostly we have plenty to eat.  Lately it was slugs and grubs.     Donna