nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Organic or Sensible

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Organic or Sensible
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:44:44 -0500

Actually, Marco Polo is claimed to have brought Pyrethrum to Europe  in 1300.  In 1669 arsenic began being used as a pesticide through the 18th century when, of all things, kerosene, turpentine and creosote began being used.  In France in 1809 it was discovered that nicotine killed aphids  and rotenone was discovered in 1848 as an insecticide, but not widely used until the 1920's and 1930's.  Nicotine became the pesticide of choice for most fruit growers during the 1930's.   DDT was first made in 1873 and began being used as a pesticide in 1939.  The history of pesticides dates back to 2500 BC when the ancient Sumarians used sulfur to control mites and insects.  Toxic pesticides have been around for centuries but training in the use of them did not begin until about 1901 when the USDA issued Farm Bill 127 containing recommendations for preparation and use of arsenicals (Paris Green, copper arsenite, arsenite of lime, London purple, lead arsenate) for chewing insects.  At the same time, the chemical industry stated that its probably not a good idea to make lead arsenate at home anymore!

If anyone is interested in the history of pesticide use and regulation in the U.S., read http://www.pestmanagement.info/pesticide_history/Two.pdf  I find it rather interesting to see how we came to be where we are.

Dennis Norton