nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Citrus and squirrels

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Citrus and squirrels
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:53:06 -0400

On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Harrick, Barbara wrote:

Hi all! Has anyone else had any difficulty with squirrels bothering
citrus in containers? I must have the greediest squirrels on the
planet......

Yes, (Although technically my meyers lemon citrus is in the ground when the squirrels have access to it. It lives in a pot in the winter, and in my backyard in the summer.)

The first year I put it out the squirrels took all the unripe fruits and buried them in the woods. (I found most of the fruits.) Since then, I have caged it when it is outdoors.

Just a warning - last year I was having trouble with the cage blowing away, and it had no fruit, so I left it unprotected. It was fairly heavily "pruned" by deer, and something nibbled away a lot of the bark near the base, mice or rabbits, I suppose. This year I plan to use the cage again. I do not have especially heavy deer pressure, so the citrus plant must taste good.

Ginda