nafex - [NAFEX] SOUTHERN FRUIT FELLOWSHIP MEETING, CLANTON, ALABAMA

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] SOUTHERN FRUIT FELLOWSHIP MEETING, CLANTON, ALABAMA
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

SOUTHERN FRUIT FELLOWSHIP MEETING, CLANTON, ALABAMA

JUNE 19 21, 2008

Robert (Bobby) Boozer
Chilton Research and Extension Cntr.
120 Co Rd 756
Clanton, AL 35045
boozert@auburn.edu

The annual meeting of Southern Fruit Fellowship will be held June 19, 20, and 21, 2008 in Clanton, Alabama.

Accommodations: Guest House Inn (formally Shoney's Inn) is located off 1 65 at Exit 208 in Clanton, AL. The Guest House Inn provides nice accommodations and is situated next to Shoney's Inn Restaurant.

Reservations: 205 280 0306 (reservations should be made by June 13, 2008). Rate: $52.00 + tax (be sure to indicate Southern Fruit Fellowship). This rate is good for Thursday   Saturday in the event some want to stay over and leave on Sunday.

Thursday Night, June 19, 2008   6:30   9:00 registration, fruit and jelly sampling and greeting time. Registration fee will be in the neighborhood of $25.00 per person. This will include the lunch and cookout on Friday night,

Friday, June 20,2008   travel to Petals From the Past. We will visit with Dr. Arlie Powell and tour their blueberries, blackberries, apples, muscadines, satsuma. persimmon, Asian pear and figs. Catered lunch will be served at Petals. Following lunch the group will travel approximately 3.5 miles to the Chilton Research Center and tour plums, blackberries, kiwi, peaches, figs, and other fruit.

Friday Night there will be a catfish cookout, at the Chilton Research and Extension Center.

Saturday Morning  plans are being made to visit one of Chilton County's local commercial fruit producers. Lunch will be at Shoney's Restaurant (own your own),

Saturday Afternoon   everyone is invited to John Neighbors' Farm. Travel from Shoney's to the Neighbors' Farm is approximately 40 miles.

Editor's Note: John Neighbors, Bobby Boozer and Arlie Powell have worked hard putting together a program that has a lot of variety plus some good fellowship time, We have always had a good meeting in Clanton and the guys planning the meeting are a winning combination. You will want to make the visit to John's farm on Saturday afternoon. The last time we visited, John was growing crawfish under cardboard very successfully. He has a wonderful variety of fruit growing including the high tunnel production of satsumas which we look forward to checking out. Make a special effort to attend. This is a Good central location that should pull members from all the Southeast. We will put out the next edition of the Newsletter in mid to late May so we can get you an exact registration price along with a more specific schedule.