nafex - [NAFEX] City woman seeks farm job/mentor

  • From: "Regina M. Kreger" <regina@kreger.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] City woman seeks farm job/mentor
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:06:21 -0400

Friends,

I am a 40-year-old woman who has left a longtime bureaucratic job (budget management, contracting, human resources) with that fine old "back to the land" dream. I plan to have my house in shape to put it on the market within the month, and then I will be free -- and looking for some learning opportunities. The ideal situation is described below, but I am open to compromise if some of the elements don't exactly fit. I currently live near Washington, D.C., and I am open to going anywhere in the region from Southern Appalachia to New England.

I would like to find a job for a full year or more, on a diversified farm, not necessarily organic but biased toward ecological sustainability. The dream job would involve a variety of livestock, a veggie garden more for home consumption than for market, some fruit and maybe some value-added processing. Honeybees, the whole shebang. I'd like to work for a woman, or for someone who genuinely thinks women can do anything men can do, and who will sometimes challenge me to do things I didn't know I was capable of. The dream farm would not be sworn off of tractors and machines, but might choose hand work or animal labor more than is typical (blessed quiet!). Also maybe exploring other ways to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, e.g. photovoltaics or biodiesel. I hope the farmer will come to trust me enough to let me see spreadsheets, tax returns, business plans, grant applications -- whatever will help me understand how farm finances work so I won't go broke when I eventually strike out on my own.

I would prefer to live on-site rather than drive back and forth, and to take part of my pay in farm produce. But I can't afford not to also have some cash income, especially since I hope to someday buy my own little piece of land (and especially if my house doesn't sell right away). My agricultural experience is limited to a few years with a vegetable garden and a few backyard chickens. On the other hand, I have plenty of experience being your market -- the well-paid urban consumer who seeks out locally and sustainably grown food -- maybe my perspective will be useful to you in marketing. I am smart and creative, learn fast, love animals, love food, have no fear of shoveling manure or cutting the heads off of chickens, I'm tall and pretty strong, I speak (and read and write) fluent Spanish and adequate Portuguese, and I don't like TV. Oh ... on the other hand, having so very, very much to learn, I do rely on the Internet, and I don't know what I'd do without high-speed access.

Um ... what else? I feel like I'm writing a personals ad.... I worked 19 years in my last job so I'm a little rusty at this. I am looking for a mentor, not just a boss, so the "chemistry" is important. I am very Catholic without being dogmatic nor judgmental, I love my family fiercely (I mean parents, siblings, & beyond -- no husband or kids of my own), love singing, and did I say I am passionate about good food? Raising it, preparing it, eating it, sharing it. I am quiet and like to spend some time alone each day, nonetheless I think I'm pretty easy to get along with most of the time.

Please reply if you think you might have a place for me on your farm.

Thanks,
Regina