nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Calamondin question(s)

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Calamondin question(s)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:02:47 -0400

I don't know off hand, but for a calamondin seedling you may still have several years to wait before it blossoms. Key limes can blossom from seeding in a relatively short time, but most citrus makes you wait 4-10 years.

The ideal citrus fertilizer from everything I've read is a 5:1:3 N:P:K ratio. Not that I've ever seen anyone sell such a concoction, but the citrus forum I read a lot had lead me to believe it is true. I use ordinary Scotts 20-20-20 with minors myself with a tablespoon of Epsom salts per gallon of water added. I've got about twenty cotnainer citrus of various sizes just now so I typically mix it up about five gallons at a time.

Pull the tree from the pot and check the condition of the roots. It may be time for moving it up to the next size. The citrus fans whose posts I read have taught me not to jump too fast in pot sizes because of the perched water table problem. I typically go for a fifty to one hundred percent increase in volume if I can so it may be time to move up to a gallon of volume and then up to a two gallon container next year.

Calamondins are one of the few I don't have yet myself, but they are a very common container plant so you should do alright with them. Be careful not to overwater and stop fertilizing a couple of months before you want the tree to ready itself for the winter slow season. Full sunglight when you can and watch out for dry air in the winter if it's indoors.

.....Alan.

----- Message from jfruth@tds.net ---------