nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Calamondin question(s)

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Calamondin question(s)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:51:33 -0500

Hi Jim,
My experience with calamondin and other citrus leads me to think that you may have to wait 8 years or longer for blooms on seedlings. We usually bud them (chip bud onto Trifoliate orange) using mature wood from a bearing calamondin. That speeds up the bearing considerably. We've also seen cutting taken from mature wood start to bear much sooner.
We put them out in summer. They're wonderful plants to have - almost always in three stages at the same time - ripe fruit, green fruit and blossoms. They have a periodic spurt of new growth and flowers.
Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>