nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for pear rootstock

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for pear rootstock
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:15:29 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

You can get small quantities of pear rootstock from One Green World &
Raintree Nursery. Google will send you to their web sites.

I recommend against 333. It reduces fruit size and is slower to come into
bearing than OHxF 513. I've used it when I'm desparate & it's been OK, but
it is far from my favorite.

Time till fruiting is highly dependent on the scion as well as the rootstock
and the orchard management. With any scion/stock combination, if you want
faster fruit, prune almost none until the first fruiting (remove only dead,
diseased & severly crossing limbs after the initial pruning when the tree is
planted). Festoon and pinch in the summer instead. Fertilize lightly, but
make sure they grow well.

Best of luck,

Anton