nafex - [NAFEX] moving trees

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] moving trees
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:24:05 -0400

At any given time I probably have around a thousand trees in my bearing age fruit tree nursery with the most highly represented species being apples.  The majority of the trees I sell I plant myself and I have trees in as large as 25 gal. pots, in growbags and right in the ground.

I have often moved up to 3.5 inch calibre trees bare-root and when I do a good job of  retaining most of the root these trees thrive as well as any, probably better.  Problem is they have to be dormant when dug up and it is best to plant them promptly although healing in works.  You just best plant them before they start to leaf out or they will be runted at best.

If you have to move trees in June, just stick them in an appropriate sized pot (one that easily accomadates the roots) using a good commercial potting soil like Sunshine Pro-Mix, unless you are research savvy or skilled enough to make your own (I use equal parts in volume sand, peat moss and forest or similar compost) adding a bit of lime.

Small apple trees do exceptionally well in pots and yours are well worth saving if you want to get a big jump on harvesting fruit at your new place.

  • [NAFEX] moving trees, Alan Haigh, 04/04/2008