nafex - Re: [NAFEX] M9 as an interstem on MM111 or MM106

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] M9 as an interstem on MM111 or MM106
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:34:10 -0500

Ed Fackler wrote:
>My late friend, John Creech used M9 on MM106 a lot
with excellent
>success. The major difference between 106 and 111
is that 106 doesn't
>produce many suckers. MM111 (under an interstem)
will generate annually
>lots of very vigorous suckers.
>I used it extensively my self and it was the single
most productive
>combo we had including B9, B491, P2 and P22 on MM111.

Interesting. I only have one apple in my orchard that
I *know* is on MM106, and it has never thrown a
sucker. Many others, though, are on a combo M111/M9
rootstock, and, as Ed indicated, constantly throw
big, vigorous suckers. Additionally, easily 50% or
more of those M111 trees never anchored sufficiently
and have required propping up to keep them from lying
prostrate on the ground.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville KY