nafex - Re: [NAFEX] scion request

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: steve keipert <sjkeipert@peoplepc.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] scion request
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:45:27 -0500

I tasted Silken in 2002 at the Ag.Canada orchard in Frelighsburg and I
thought it was excellent and very beautiful according to my notes. It is
quite sweet with little acidity. This orchard is in zone 4-5 and the
variety is considered hardy there. I haven't indroduced it in my orchard
however and can't tell you more about it.

Claude Jolicoeur
Quebec.

A 12:48 08.03.05 -0600, vous avez écrit :
>I purchased a "Silken" apple tree last Spring from Raintree that
unfortunately did not make it through the Summer. Rather than pay the high
price of shipping to get a free replacement, I was wondering if anyone on
the list had a stick of scion wood they would be willing to part with,
since I am going to be doing some grafting anyway. I would be willing to
pay postage or exchange scions from any of the many varieties that I have
growing here in Wisconsin. Please contact me off list.

>I wanted to plant this variety in particular to evaluate its cold
hardiness. Even though it comes out of Summerland BC, its parents are
Honeygold and Sunrise, both of which are quite cold hardy varieties. Does
anyone have any experience with Silken in zone 4? - Steve