nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus

  • From: "Mark and Piper" <piper33@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scale on Citrus
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:14:22 -0800

I am a citrus newbie. I just figured out what is making my indoor citrus trees get all sticky and sick looking. These little trees are covered with scale. I did some reading about them since I had never heard of them before. I picked them off by and and cleaned each leaf and branch. The trees look much better. What I can't understand is where these critters came from. I have a Meyers Lemon and a Lime Leaf, both growing in pots. Both have never been outdoors. Both were started from seed by me. I am almost 1000 miles from any citrus orchard. How did I get scale? Since I started with seed, that is the only source I can think of, unless they drifted in by air through an open window.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8