nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Membership

  • From: "Robert C. Mullins" <mullins@gaelicmysts.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Membership
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:02:28 -0600

Interesting you should mention the Hmong. I consider myself as something of a cosmopolitan, and I had never heard of this group until this year. Seems there is a family in our very small rural community that can only speak Hmong and no English. I found that fascinating.

In addition, what are you considering 'young'? ;) I am 40 and kinda consider myself young in my community. ;)

-rob

akmanty wrote:
Foremost, don't loose those people we now have!
Many groups. are striving to get more members, including churches, "bring in the young". Well, I know several older folks that are attending less frequently partly because of all the /new /changes. Overall, total membership seems to be declining in many areas. The number of home gardens is way low, from many years ago. Except for the up and coming community gardens, that seem to draw minorities, as Hmong, where we live.
In the 60's PTA meetings had a "full house". As I approached retirement, principal, teachers, and maybe a handful of parents attended.
The number of small farms is declining, in favor of a few huge operations. Is it possible there just isn't the number of new interested people available and with all the books, magazines, and "googling" on the Internet to get information. There is so much more out there vying for our time and attention. A job, TV, children, VCR, DVDs, the library, and especially when retired, volunteer, volunteer.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):