nafex - [NAFEX] So close....

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] So close....
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:31:53 -0500

We came SO close to having the mildest winter in the 30 years that I have lived in the Adirondacks. I'm judging "mildest", in this case, only by the lowest temperature of the season. Most winters we bottom out anywhere between -30 and -40. Once in a while, we have had a winter where we never got below -25 or 26. Up until right now, the season low in my yard was -23. I was starting to think that would be it. Now, here we are just after midnight on February 29th and it's already 21 below zero. Since no clouds are forecast, I'm sure we'll be good and cold by 7 AM.
I'm not worried about the fruit trees themselves but I was hoping to see if a "mild" winter would increase the fruit set on some of the apricots and plums.

Steve