nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit produced from a M111 tree ?

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit produced from a M111 tree ?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:41:17 -0600

Peter,

We grow some of the same apple varieties on M111 and M26 rootstock. I cannot tell the difference between the taste of the same variety grown on M111 or M26. We have Jonathan growing on M111, M7, Mark and B9 and we mix all those Jonathans in the bins after they are picked and washed and there is no way anyone could tell you which apple came from which rootstock after they have been mixed in the bin.

Before using M111, you might want to consider the size of the resulting tree. We have some M111 that are 15 feet tall! I prefer the more dwarfing M26 or B9. Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com