nafex - [NAFEX] oil and captan

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] oil and captan
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:35:58 -0500

I use oil to control mites and scale.  If scale is the primary problem 2% at half-inch green is good, for mites 1% at tight cluster.  I always use some kind of summer oil and combine with Nova.  The Captan label says nothing about waiting 2 weeks after an oil application- just that there should be a little seperation.  However I have sometimes experienced some phytotoxisisty with a captan application at around that interval, but only on a couple of varieties.  Tomkins King in particular.

Where I have susceptible varieties, and pears are also susceptible to this kind of injury now that I think of it, I remove the Captan from the pedal-fall application.  I use a combination of Imidan, Flint and Nova in this case where I'd normally use Nova and Captan with the Imidan.  In the scores of orchards I manage I get almost absolute control of scab and CAR and very good control of Plum Curculio with a 3-spray program.  The Imidan sprays are at pedal-fall and 10 to 14 days later.

  • [NAFEX] oil and captan, Alan Haigh, 02/19/2008