nafex - [NAFEX] grape callusing

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grape callusing
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:23:18 -0700

Hello,
I am trying to callus a small group of grape cuttings as a 'practice run' for a larger group I will be doing this spring. The cuttings were well hydrated. I dipped them in rooting powder and planted them in potting soil in a 1 gallon plastic pot and used a heat lamp to maintain a soil temperature of 80-85 degrees.  After several weeks there wasn't any callus. I put them back in the heat for another week or two, and still no callus, but green buds are pushing out. Can the cuttings essentially rot before they callus when in soil?  Would it be better to use something more sterile like perlite?  My intention was to let them callus and root directly in the pots, and I could plant them in their permanent location this spring.  What would happen if the ends of the cuttings were clipped a little shorter to expose fresh cambium and start over?
Mark
Northeast Colorado