nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Membership...the FUTURE of NAFEX?

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Membership...the FUTURE of NAFEX?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:12:11 -0500

I don't want to harp on the money...but let me harp on the money <grin>.

I don't know that this would be healthy. We want to continue to keep NAFEX solid. I'm not sure that relying on a handful of folks to foot the bills on a voluntary basis for what would likely be a majority of free members is going to further the organization. More likely, it would result in some hard feelings on the parts of those folks who have supported both in deed and wallet. I'm a board member and I still pay dues. I don't find it embarrassing. I am happy to be a part of NAFEX and wish to see it continue. I can't think of too many orgaizations with similar dues structure where you get the ability to get advice/help/scion wood/sizeable publicaton/etc. The same professionals and supporters you mention do, in fact, get something by being members, and more still through contribution. Are we really saying that $1.60 a month is too dear a price?

Don't get me wrong...I do believe there should be enough content publicly available so as to encourage new members as well as provide search engine fodder to drive traffic to the website.

Electronic journal copies should not be used to create differing levels of membership costs. Rather, they should be used to facilitate ease of use, provide options, allow cost savings, and result in being able to use money fr other programs in addition to not having to raise dues as often. NAFEX is not alone among groups with a limited revenue generating capacity. Further limiting this at a time when we're starting to see the need to increase the organization's security doesn't seem prudent to me. I'm glad people understand the need for marketing and cgrowing the membership. I would hope we do not do that while sacrificing financial security. I've seen liberal honorary and free memberships create shifts in small organizations much to their detriment often enough that I'm just skeptical of the utility and practicality. The gamble that a few deep pockets will create a free playground is too great a risk IMHO.