nafex - [NAFEX] Grapes dropped for frost prrotection

  • From: Ray Kaminski <r-jkaminski@att.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grapes dropped for frost prrotection
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:47:17 -0600

Ernest you asked If I cover the grapes after they are lowered to the ground. No because I am afraid of rodents getting into them for winter protection of their own. Usually there is enough snow to protect them. 2 years ago there was very little snow , only a couple of inches on the ground and we had a -11 degrees two nights in a row. I thought they would be damaged as they are suppose to be good to zero however the fact that they were out of the wind and close to the ground with the heavy wire on top, no damage was sustained. I believe the wind dries out the wood and does a lot of damage to the wood in most cases. This year there is enough snow so you can not see more than the upright poles in the area. This year it snows lightly almost everyday with the Lake Michigan effect. Love it! Ray

  • [NAFEX] Grapes dropped for frost prrotection, Ray Kaminski, 02/12/2008