nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion wood

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion wood
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:02:26 +0000

I like the bench-grafting timing too. Had great success last year, I think
because third time of trying to everything correct is a charm. But, I prefer
grafting onto rootstocks which have been growing in the nursery for a year,
and I do this in May (w/ dormant scionwood stored in refrig, double-bagged,
regularly inspected.) I have light & rather poor soil, so it's not practical
to expect rootstocks received & planted in mid-spring to have enough roots
for water uptake to mend a decent graft in May or June. So for me it's
either bench-graft timing, or the 2-year plan.

Today I'm looking at deep snow and zero temps (s.WI, almost Muffy's
neighbor). I could collect scionwood, but much rather wait for a few days of
30s when the snow will melt some, easier to hike from tree to tree and to do
the bagging & labelling.

What might not be intuitive is the need for good labelling, & double-checking
your labelling, and keeping good records & nursery charts. Being obsessive
at first gives you the option of discarding unnecessary info later, rather
than later wondering what the heck is what.

Also, for storing scionwood, you want to keep fruits, older or rotting
veggies, and stratifying or germinating seed in refrigerator other than the
one holding the scionwood.