nafex - [NAFEX] Grape plant survival

  • From: Ray Kaminski <r-jkaminski@att.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grape plant survival
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:35:45 -0600

In reading about dropping blackberries from freezing I would like to share my experience of dropping grape plants in a similar way. I have 15 grape plants total and 5 of these will not survive the cold without help. My grapes are spaced 10 feet apart in 3 rows. Heavy wire is placed between the poles for support at 2 feet high and 60 inches on top. The grapes grow with an arm going each direction from center of the plant on each wire. This is good if you do not have to mess around with the plants, however if you have to cut them from the wires and lay them on the ground it becomes a real mess. They tangle up and when you go to pick them up in the spring your problems really start when it comes to pruning. An easy method of handling the tender grapes is to go a place that sells construction material and get some of the heavy wire that is used and placed into concrete when it is laid. It is the heavy wire that has squares of of about 6 inches. It comes 5 feet wide and I place a 5 foot high by 7 foot long piece (side ways) attached with "S" clips to the support wires. As the grapes grow during the year they attach themselves to the construction wire. In the fall early (while still warm after harvest) I unhook the "S" clips and lower the whole plant, wire and all to the ground. When you do this they will not go flat to the ground right away but they work them selves down slowly with out pressure and thus no breakage of any wood occurs.The weight of the plants and the wire on top, keeping them flat, will help to bring them to the ground.
In the spring you pick up the whole wire, grapes and all, attach the "S" clips again and you are ready
to prune without a tangled mess.
My brother saw my method and his comment was "Give the job to a lazy man and he will find an easier way to do the job." He also uses that method in central Wisconsin and loves it. If you have any questions please E-mail me. Ray Zone 4 N.E. Wisc.