nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax & Parafilm

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax & Parafilm
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:58:06 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2008 4:37:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu writes:

I'll admit, Parafilm doesn't work all that well when sticking on cleft grafts of relatively small scionwood - as you might do when reworking an older apple with
relatively large-diameter branches.

I absolutely love Parafilm.

Have used it on hundreds of grafts, although I'll admit most are confined to bark and splice grafts. I always use grafting rubbers to hold splice grafts together then apply Parafilm to prevent the scion from drying out before callousing. I prefer the whip & tongue graft which most of you know is a splice graft modified.  I haven't used grafting wax in years. Don't even own any now.

Just yesterday while looking over an area around my pond I discovered where I had splice grafted pink dogwood onto white dogwood understock. Had totally forgotten about it. Noticed it because the Parafilm was still around parts of them which had turned dark.

Summery: Whip & tongue grafted, wrapped tight using grafting rubbers then covered with Para. Then forgot about them. The Parafilm degraded enough to allow ultraviolet to degrade the rubber which broke apart, not restricting the growth. Did three of them and all three took.

Jerry

(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)

  • Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax & Parafilm, Jwlehman, 02/10/2008