nafex - [NAFEX] pH soil tester

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pH soil tester
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:36:19 EST

In a message dated 2/6/2008 10:07:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, holycow@cookeville.com writes:

I once bought one of those pH test gadgets.  It read the same no matter where I stuck it in the ground.  Then I stuck it in pure vinegar, and it read the same.   I stuck it in some quicklime mixed with water, and it read the same. Then I threw it away.   Donna

I have one and have used it many times. The secret it keeping the shaft & tip clean of oxide and polished. After storage, extra time must be taken to remove oxidization that occurred while stored. If the shaft isn't bright and shiny it ain't ready to use. Then clean and polish after each use. I take a course cloth such as dry dish washing towel which is slightly abrasive and paper toweling to clean and dry before each use. Once you have met those requirements using it with soil at proper moisture levels is also very important. I taken distilled water to add when the soil is too dry. Also if the probe runs against or is lying against a stone the readings will be effected. You may have to push the probe into the soil then move up and down slightly to "seat" it for good soil contact on the shaft and tip, both. If you can't get a reading at one location move over an inch and try again. I've had my pH tester for years and believe it gives me good readings when all is done properly. I can get repeat readings when measuring say a few inches from one location to another in my pawpaw rows where I treated with sulpher to increase acidity. Moving over to untreaded areas the pH goes up.

One indicator that the tester is working is the reading will start high then slowly move to the reading and settle at the reading.

Don't use steel wool to polish the shaft as it will wear off the shaft coating of special metal alloy.

Donna, I wish you had thrown your tester my way. They do work when used correctly and with patience. They don't work in wet soil or liquids. Your test in pure vinegar or lime slurry wasn't a valid test method, too wet.

Jerry

(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)