nafex - [NAFEX] Beach Plum in Minnesota

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Beach Plum in Minnesota
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:50:22 -0600

Ernest Plutko wrote: "I see beach plum trees Prunus Maritima for sale. Do these have a
good taste and are they worth buying? I'm wondering if they will
survive inland far from the shore"

Ernest,
Here, at Brambleberry Farm, we get visitors from the New England area asking for Beach Plum Jelly. Apparently they think Beach Plum grows everywhere - 99% of the jelly we sell is from Minnesota fruit. Several of these would-be customers have said that when they walk into a gift shop at Martha's Vineyard, they ask for Beach Plum Jelly. If that store doesn't have it, they buy nothing and go to another store.
So I found some Beach Plums and made some jelly. We were underwhelmed. Nothing special. We wonder what all the fuss is about. It is good but after tasting so many jellies, most 'berries' taste like.............most other 'berries'. Compare that to some of our other jellies that have a flavor that 'comes out and grabs you.'
Trouble is, we can't sell them a great tasting jelly unless we have Beach Plum jelly too (We sell 4 for $18.75). So, I found some bare-root Beach Plum seedlings. We bought them from the New Hampshire Department of Conservation and planted them here in North Central Minnesota. Alot of folks told me they wouldn't survive here - We lost four out of 25 and expect out first crop of fruit in 2008.
Most of what we plant here survives. Testament to that are Black Raspberry, Boysenberry, Mulberry, a few others and now, Beach Plum.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Beach Plum in Minnesota, Jim Fruth, 01/31/2008