nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Rootstock

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Rootstock
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 04:36:23 -0500

If fireblight gets to the rootstock of a pear tree on quince rootstock the tree is finished, however:

a major route for fireblight infection is secondary blossom. Pear trees on quince rootstock have essentially no secondary blossom and are therefore much less likely to be infected with fireblight.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Anton Callaway wrote:
I grew several pears on quince in N. GA & NC's piedmont. If quince suckers, then
there is increased blight risk because the blight can circumvent the scion, even if
the scion is resistant. However, my quince-grafted trees rarely suckered, so I
didn't see much increase in risk. Nevertheless, I put my pears on OHxF 51 when it
was available (it's not anymore) & now use OHxF 513.

Anton
Zone 8