nafex - [NAFEX] Apple Maggot trap tree

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple Maggot trap tree
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:22:58 -0600

Michael Phillips wrote: "Apple maggot fly is drawn to ripening fruit to both feed and lay eggs."

Michael,
I don't agree. Maybe that's the case where you live but certainly not true for my area. Here, apple maggot flees lay their eggs in developing fruit. They begin infecting fruit that is barely more than marble size. Before I started bagging my apples, much of the fruit was infected by the time the apples were half the size of a golf ball. I have only a few week's window of time to get the bags on the apples or I might as well forget it for the season.
Having said that, the questions you asked are irrelevant.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: